Wednesday, June 15, 2022

DAY 35 – Lake Argyle

Good Morning Lake Argyle!
 
Low 19°c (66°F) – High 28°c (82°F)
48km
 
As I anticipated, early to bed – early to rise, so making it up for first light this morning was a breeze as I was awake at 4.30am, up at 5.00 and ventured out of the van to take the first shot at 5.15am.  I’m so glad I did as the light, particularly around the infamous infinity pool, was well worth a visit.
 
It was such a beautiful morning to sit out under the awning for coffee, pancakes for breakfast and just relax, that we did so until around 9.30am before heading off to see the rest of the immediate area.  All I can say is WOW.
 
Well maybe I can say a little more than that, but honestly I have no words to adequately describe the beauty of this area other than to say, for me, it’s probably the prettiest part of Australia I have seen so far.
 
Lake Argyle is Western Australia's largest and Australia's second largest freshwater man-made reservoir by volume and is visible from space being approximately 18 times the size of Sydney harbour. The reservoir is part of the Ord River Irrigation Scheme. The primary inflow is the Ord River, while the Bow River and many other smaller creeks also flow into the dam.  The construction of the Ord River Dam was completed in 1971 and officially opened the following year.
 
The dam wall is 335 metres (1,099 ft) long, and 98 metres (322 ft) high. The earth-fill only dam wall at Lake Argyle is the most efficient dam in Australia in terms of the ratio of the size of the dam wall to the amount of water stored. The lake was named after the property it partly submerged, Argyle Downs.  In 1996, the spillway wall was raised by 6 metres (20 ft), which doubled the dam's capacity.   It’s the only commercial hydro power station in Western Australia designed using 4 turbines and two 15 mega-watt generators to produce more than 220gigawatt hours of electricity per annum. At present the power station provides power for the towns of Kununurra and Wyndham and to the Argyle Diamond Mine.
 
Apologies, as I took lots of photos and just couldn’t decide which ones to use, so I pretty much used most of them.  You’ll see that one of the photos shows a vehicle at the top of the wall – just to give perspective to the size of this thing.  It’s really overwhelming.  But the lake and surrounds are just amazingly beautiful.
 
The only disappointment for the day’s outing was the Argyle Homestead Museum.  A replicated building of the once home of the Durack family, which really wasn’t a replica with its cement floors and mini corrugated iron ceilings with painted lines and words on the floor to indicate where furniture “might” have been placed, to the fact that it isn’t the site of the homestead and the graves in the front yard aren’t actual graves but relocated headstones from the actual graves to prevent them from being vandalized.  I don’t know about you, but I think when I die I’d rather my headstone be with my body – perhaps that’s just me.  But the whole thing seemed a bit pointless as most of the items weren’t from the homestead either – just indicative of what might have been found in a home of the time.  I found the most interesting thing on the property was a Bower Bird who was busily hunting for things to add to his impressive home, so it was a big miss for me unfortunately.
 
We returned to the park for a late lunch and a relaxing afternoon of reading and watching the world go by with sad thoughts of having to leave tomorrow.  It’s been a pleasure to be here.






















































1 comment:

DAY 103 – Horsham - Colac

Good Morning Horsham!   Low 4 °c (39°F) – High 18°c (64°F) 269km   Total Trip - 19022km (11,820 miles)   Well sadly this was the last few ho...